off topic

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 00:48:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-28-04 at 17:35 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Reminds me of a story of /. a while back - some linguist had spent
> 2000 man hours writing a Windows program that would count how many
> English words could be properly spelled using full element names in
> the periodic table as letters. 2000 hours! It was all terribly
> complicated and confusing, and took several hours to run

> Then some /. fanboy used /usr/share/dict/words and a perl one-liner to
> do the same thing in 3.5 seconds

And, naturally, Perl isn't available under Windows.  And the words file
is in such a bizarre and obscure format that it can't be used under
Windows.  And certainly isn't available from about a billion different
places.

If you're going to critique a platform, how about not making shit up?

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot [...]. I
think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor
people." --Mother Theresa