/etc/mailname and cron

tony B tandj at netins.net
Thu Apr 27 13:41:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 08:15 +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:

Thanks for the help, Tony.

> /etc/mailname should contain the fully qualified domain name of your
> machine and not localhost.localdomain. I think mail uses mainly when
> sending messages to form the from field in outgoing messages. It may
> also use it for incoming so that the system know for which domains it is
> meant to receive mail for.

I'm running Hoary on an old Mac, and that's what it has is mailname, so
that's what I used here.  (BTW, I forgot to mention that I'm running an
up-to-date Dapper.)  My hostname is aurora; what do I use for a domain?

> I suspect ou may have a mail routing problem. Try using mail to send a
> message to root (e.g., mail root) and then check your MTA (postfix?)
> logs to see where it got delivered.

I'm not knowledgeable about mail; I just follow whatever defaults get
setup for me.  I've not used evolution before, so I setup evolution mail
to give it a try, and I'm using whatever it setup for me.  :)  I sent a
message to root, and I assumed it would show up in /var/mail, but
there's nothing there.  I cc'd it to myself, and that showed up.  I
looked in /var/log/mail.log -- for the first time :) -- and there are a
lot of messages like:

Apr 27 08:14:12 aurora spamd[5794]: Can't locate Sys/Hostname/Long.pm in
@INC (@INC
contains: ../lib /usr/share/perl5 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.7 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SPF/Query.pm line 336, <GEN336> line 69.

I'm guessing that is a spamassassin problem though unrelated to my
present difficulty.

I will poke at this some more tonight, but I'm gone all day today.

Thanks again for your help, Tony.

regards,
(another) tony