Can't record audio using Intel ICH6--Realtek ALC260

Steve Robertson stevebinrobert at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 19:49:27 UTC 2006

I am trying to get my microphone working under Dapper Beta. I was able
to record fine when I first installed Dapper flight CD 4, but after an
update I have never been able to get recording working again. I am now
using Dapper 6.06 Beta. I don't know what changed between then and now.
Clearly this card can work, but I don't know where the problem lies.

I can play sounds fine. I can even play sounds from multiple apps at the
same time, but I can't record. I've tried killing esd (a suggestion from
ubuntu forums), and I've unmuted everything. I can hear myself through
the microphone when I unmute it, which would suggest a permissions
problem, but I have write permissions to /dev/dsp as part of the audio
group.

Sound Recorder acts like it records, but when you play it back, it's
just silence. Audacity won't even let me choose a device to record from.

I've been googling for fixes to this all week, but I haven't had any
luck fixing it.

I am using:

Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition
Audio Controller (rev 04)

$ tail -2 /proc/asound/oss/sndstat--gives me:

Mixers:
0: Realtek ALC260

I hope someone out there knows the answer to this one.