Java on ubuntu

Alfred Vahau Alf.Vahau at upng.ac.pg
Wed Apr 26 07:38:12 UTC 2006

Hi,
I've checked the name of the file and it is correct as I had it. Also
java-common package is installed.
I also tried running fakeroot on j2re-1_4_2_10-linux-i586.bin without
success.

In the GNU_BUILD command, changing i386 to i586 too was unsuccessful. I
can use the default java path
but I also want to access the compiler and this currently is not on the
default path.

In the /etc/profile, the the path is set as follows:

PATH=/usr/local/jdk1.5.0_06:$PATH
export PATH

That hasn't changed the default java setting and I am really out of
ideas now. What worked readily in Warty after
assistance from this list now cannot be applied readily Breezy to set
the correct environment for Java and I am really out of
luck at this stage. There is another reply to this topic so I'll check
it out but I am on a slow network
so making progress is slow.

Will hang on though.

Alfred,