error

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Wed Apr 26 02:40:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 07:31 +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:

> Sounds to me, then, like a better system has to be put into place to
> handle the lock file, doesn't it?  (That would be one of the core
> tenets of good user interface design: if an error is commonplace, fix
> the user interface to either render it impossible or render it not an
> error.)

Well, I think a slight tweak in the error message wording would be
enough. It's obviously an 'error' in the sense that Synaptic can't
continue at this point.  Perhaps just add to the error message that also
the 'Add/Remove programs' tool AND the automatic updates thingy count as
package management applications.

Or, slightly better, let Synaptic report exactly what package manager is
running that prevents it from starting up.

Cheers,
Chanchao