Poor NFS performance in Ubuntu Breezy with fs mounted from a Debian 3.1 server

Patrick patrick at xsinet.co.za
Tue Apr 25 12:07:36 UTC 2006

Hi,

> (tor.intern.vagaungdomsskule.no:/heim1    /heim  nfs
> rsize=4096,wsize=4096,rw,suid,dev,auto,nouser,sync    0       0)

Do you use the exact same options on the debian server ?

> The problem is: When I mount the filesystem from my workstation running
> Ubuntu Breezy (with the fstab entry above) I get very poor performance.
> I perform a very simple test in a directory on the nfs mounted
> filesystem from my workstation:

try async as a mount option, more for interest sake.

> Something is clearly wrong. When I mount the same nfs exported filsystem
> on a testserver running Debian 3.1 I get much better performance
> (somewhere around 10MB/Sec, which is a good starting point).

can you do the following for me on the debian/ubuntu boxen :

sysctl -a | grep rmem_

I had similar problems with sync/async, and my sizing in my mount
options, as well as my rmem size, the last was the biggest problem, my
gentoo box had the following settings, and didn't give me any
performance issues, where as the ubuntu box ( dapper, amd64 + -server
image ) did, so i updated the mount options, the rmem variables
(sysctl) and it all works fine now

neogenix at mx01:~$ sysctl -a | grep rmem_
net.core.rmem_default = 135168
net.core.rmem_max = 131071

Also some other things to check :

iptables, do you have any firewalls enabled ? do you have any rules
urnning ? is the network perfect? have you tested other workstations?
pretty much you're going to have to go through a process of
ilimination to find the problem if the things i've mentioned above
don't fix your problem.

Also, you might want to say if you're using the kernel-server, or the
user-server ( NFS ) as well as what kernel you're using, and what
network speeds you're running, filesystem information maby, remember
more information makes the problem finding process easier.

Patrick