How the applet NetworkManager works?

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 18:55:24 UTC 2006

On 4/24/06, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Dick Davies wrote:

> >> That's a horrible bug.  Especially since every other package in
> >> interface-land is adding stuff to interfaces.  At the very least,
> >> network-manager needs to _ignore_ interfaces, rather than simply failing
> >> to start.
> >
> > It does'n't fail to start.
> > It just does'nt mess with those interfaces since it assumes you want
> > to use the standard way of managing those. That sounds fair enough to me.
>
> If you have _anything_ about wireless interfaces (perhaps not wired ones),
> it _does_ fail to start.  /usr/sbin/NetworkManager does not run.  Now,
> perhaps it's because it finds no interfaces it should manage - but if so,
> it should exit with a message, instead of just failing.

File a bug[1], or follow up on any existnig ones.  I haven't seen this
behaviour personally, but if you file a bug I'm sure someone will be
able to follow up on it.

[1] https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bugs

Don't forget to include log output, /var/log/daemon is where network
manager logs.

> Also, there's no documentation that you have to comment out the network
> interfaces, nor is there any indication of how you should replace the
> features that are _in_ interfaces, so everybody who uses this hits the same
> problem.

That's why it's not installed by default, nor available in 'main'

It's simply not ready for primetime.  It's being pushed for Edgy Eft
though, so it will progress in leaps and bounds.

OTOH, It works, very well, for me. :)

~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
~ http://darrylclarke.com