How the applet NetworkManager works?

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 03:47:55 UTC 2006

On 4/23/06, 王 鹏辉 <wangpenghui at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, list.
>
> Recently, i found that the applet NetworkManager which located in the notify
> area could not start automaticly even i want to start it manually.
>
> My current /etc/network/interfaces is
> ==
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
> auto eth0
> ==
>
> And eth1 is wireless NIC.
>
> Then i add the line:
> auto eth1
>
> to the file.
>
> Then the NetworkManager could work correctly.
> But i don't want to the wireless network start during the system  booting. I
> want to start it manully when necessary. If is remove the extra line from
> the /etc/network/interfaces, The applet doesn't work again.
>
>  I have few experience on this topic. Could anyone told me what's the real
> problem?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Wang Penghui
>

> --
> 王  鹏辉
> 0592-8389650

To fully utilize Network Manager in Ubuntu, you have to comment out
all of your network interfaces except lo in /etc/network/interfaces.

Then if you boot with a network cable in, NM will pick that up, and
when you pull the cable it will look for a wireless ap, I don't use
wired access much, so I'm not sure how well that scenario works.

NM is working pretty well in my laptop bouncing between 3 wireless
spots.  Once in a while it can't connect or get an ip from my
airport-express in my apt, but I think that is an issue with the
ipw2200 drivers.