desktop link to a directory in gnome

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Mon Apr 24 01:50:51 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 21:12 -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> I have no idea why this seems to be so hard, but I've been trying to
> make a simple directory link on my desktop in gnome to an existing
> directory on disk. This is trivial in winblows. Could someone tell me
> how to do this in Gnome?

Start a file browser, navigate to where you can see the directory in the
file browser. Press CTL, then drag and drop the directory onto your
desktop. Done.

If you don't press CTL, you will move the directory to your desktop
rather than create a link to it.

You can do this with executables, ordinary files and so on, and they
will for the most part do what you expect.

If you would like to set up a special icon, change the name under the
icon, or add emblems to the link, just right-click on the icon on the
desktop and work through the properties accordingly.

Regards, K.

PS: I couldn't work out how to do this through the "create launcher"
option. The best I could do was to create a file:// link. The
"Directory" launcher type wouldn't let me select a directory!

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (w/h)