[dapper] mouse stops working

stinkykid ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Apr 23 23:14:25 UTC 2006

I had a problem which seems similar and just fixed it.  The solution was
not very satisfying, but it worked.  My mouse would stop working at
seemingly variable time lengths from when X windows was finished
starting.  Usually a few minutes, sometimes immediately.  I tried many
things and almost pulled my hair out... from reconfiguring the kernel
to trying all the different USB ports.  The solution ended up being...
replacing the mouse.  The mouse was a cheap $10 Logitech roller-ball
style.  I replaced it with a newer $15 optical Logitech.  The only
thing that caught my attention when trying this was when issuing
'dmesg' to look at the kernel logs, the $10 roller ball style mouse
listed as using 'usb' where as the optical mouse listed as using
'usbps' which I am not too sure as to the exact meaning, but I assume
it is more compatible with different systems.

Hope this helped;)

--
stinkykid