UTF-8 Symbols etc. 9 (was Re: Macros in OpenOffice 2)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Apr 23 21:47:48 UTC 2006

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:52:02 +1000
Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> > I'm butting in here to say the special characters showed up fine here
> > -- I'm using gmail. Whatever email program you are using may be set to
> > a different character set by default. I just looked at the headers of
> > his message, and his character set is charset=iso-8859-1
>
> Selecting iso-8859-1 didn't help, but selecting UTF-8 did.

After  some frustrating Googling I came up with:

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/unicode.html#SYMBOLS

Some samples below sent through Sylpheed ( with UTF-8 set )

    Suppose you want to type the Greek letter mu (micro) with Unicode ID
"B5" (hexadecimal).

    You would simply need to press Ctrl+Shift+B5: µ

    Let's see some other interesting characters.
    B9: ¹
    B2: ²
    B3: ³
    B6: ¶
    BC: ¼
    BD: ½
    BE: ¾
    A3: £
    A7: §

    Others:

    B0: °
    2642: ♂
    2640: ♀
    2665: ♥
    222b: ∫
    3c0:  π
    260e: ☎
    2122: ™
    2600: ☀
      ae: ®

      B5: µ
      B3: ³
      BB: »

      DF: ß
    20AC: €

Hope this shows up OK in your mail client ....

You hold the ctrl-shift down while inputting. When you rease the keys the
symbols show up.

Peter

--

Linux User #343161