kernel compilation woes

Michael V. De Palatis mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Apr 23 21:37:13 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

So I'm trying to get suspend2 working with my laptop again (it had
mysteriously stopped working a while ago and then I just gave up on it
for a few months).

Anyway, rather than using one of the Ubuntu kernel trees, I decided to
go with one of the vanilla kernels and make-kpkg. Unfortunately, after
the initial "Ok, booting the kernel" (or whatever it says), my screen
just goes blank. The hard drive also is not working, so clearly
nothing is actually happening.

I started building the kernel by first doing make oldconfig with the
older Ubuntu kernel config file. I then tweaked it here and there
(mainly to enable the suspend2 patch options). I've tried make-kpkg
both with and without --initrd, still no difference.

Furthermore, it appears that the kernel doesn't get far enough to
actually start logging things. Any ideas as to what the problem may
be? Maybe the problem is related to make oldconfig'ing a vanilla
kernel with an ubuntu kernel's config file?

Thanks,

Mike