upgrade or clean installation?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Apr 23 18:32:50 UTC 2006

Lutzer wrote:
> What happens if in Ubuntu current+1 an application X is additionally
> installed by default or if application Y is not anymore installed by
> default but Z instead? What about configurations/data like, for example
> the background desktop image? Does an upgrade take care about such changes?

An upgrade should take care of those changes. I'll answer your questions
in order:

* X gets installed.

* Z will get installed. If Y is deprecated, or replaced by Z, then it is
removed. There may be cases where the upgrade may not realize this. For
example, it may not realize that OpenOffice 2.0 is supposed to replace
OpenOffice 1. But I understand that "aptitude" can deal with these issues.

* Your configuration and data is preserved, including your background
desktop image.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Daniel.