[newbie] Breezy =>Dapper upgrade follow-up issue: PCMCIA server failed?

David Armour d.f.armour at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 23 17:15:26 UTC 2006

>> the re-boot screen listed one ominous, RED, 'failed' in an otherwise
>> quotidian list of ubuntu-brown 'ok's: PCMCIA server.
>>
>> It's a known issue - desktop systems try to load PCMCIA, which fails
>> because they don't have PCMCIA slots. (Those slots on the sides of
>> many laptops that are around the size of a thick credit card.) Of
>> course, if you have a laptop that has a PCMCIA slot or two, there's a

thanks for your note. now that i see it in context, the connection (in
*my* memory!) to laptop technology resurfaces. my desktop definitely
doesn't have any 'slots on the side...' and this morning's update
thingie seems to have completed with no observable error(s). maybe the
upgrade folks have already fixed this? it seems unlikely, to me, but
stranger things have happened. i guess i can relax about that particular
error message. thanks again.