upgrade or clean installation?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Apr 23 14:30:06 UTC 2006

Jan Moren wrote:
>>Why? What do you mean by keeps the PC clean? Ubuntu doesn't naturally
>>degrade over time.
>
> I do the same. It's just like moving house every five years or so -
> you've accumulated a bunch of cruft, and cleaning out and starting over
> means a lighter, simpler life (of course, you just start accumulating
> again).

This is a flawed comparison. Operating systems are not like houses. The
filesystem doesn't naturally get littered over time. At most, consider a
clean up of your home directory.

> Same thing for data. Multiple megabytes of files that "might come in
> handy someday",

This data is in your home directory. Clean your home directory and leave
your Ubuntu installation intact. If you want something more drastic,
then wipe your home directory.

Re-installing the entire system to wipe your home directory is silly.

Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org
     /\/_/