Thank God for backups!

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Apr 23 01:51:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 14:18 +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> I just wrote a script to do this (attached). There is only one
> configuration line. If you want (for example) to delete backups older
> than 15 days, set the $age variable to 15. Every time you run the script
> (as root) it will delete all the backups older than 15 days.
>
> So, here is a possible backup strategy for you:
>
> * Full backups on Sunday.
> * Incremental backups every day.
> * Run this script every day (with $age=15).
>
> With this setup, you'll always have a full backup that is at least 7
> days old (expectd value, 10 days). So you'll always be able to recover
> at least the past week's worth of work.
>
> Note: I RECOMMEND $age=15 because that gives you at least a week of backups.

Thanks for your script, I think you are right, why not keep some history
to roll back time if needed. If the drive I end up buying can contain
one or two month worth of back-ups, would be a bit stupid to
artificially limit it to a day or a week.
Actually a great option for sbackup would be: "Automatically rotate
backups when the backup drive is full."
This way one would not have to worry about running out of space, and it
would ensure that the the drive is used to its best, that you always
have as many backups/history as the drive size allows.

--
Vince