[DAPPER] Slow boot "Configuring network interfaces..."

knn ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sat Apr 22 10:48:52 UTC 2006

Altough I have Breezy, I noticed the same problem today for the first
time. The configuring part was slow and the splash screen went away.
Now the Waiting for Network Interfaces to come up has the same problem
(with configuring back to normal), but I think I know the source:
Yesterday I activated ICMP filtering in Firestarter. I deactivated it
today, and everything was fine. Then I reactivated it and the bootup
was slow again. Firestarter is set to drop packets silently instead of
rejecting them. With this setting the sender does not get any
confirmation at all, and simply assumes the destination does not exist
after some waiting. I think that's the problem. I also enabled Type of
Service filtering yesterday and set it to X Window System and
Interactivity (see Firestarter preferences if you don't know what these
are), which I also deactivated today. I'll do some more tests, and you
should also try this if you have Firestarter

--
knn