Firefox on Dapper fails on https even though mozilla-psm is installed

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 03:04:36 UTC 2006

On 4/21/06, Erik Forsberg <forsberg at efod.se> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I upgraded my Debian Sarge to Dapper Drake Beta yesterday. I'm fully
> aware that this is not a supported process, so I was expecting
> trouble. Most things went fine though.
>
> My firefox is causing trouble. It refuses to visit https sites,
> instead giving me this error message:
>
> Unexpected response from server Firefox doesn't know how to
> communicate with the server.
>
>     *   Check to make sure your system has the Personal Security Manager
>           installed.
>
>     *   This might be due to a non-standard configuration on the
>         server.
>
> This is odd, since mozilla-psm is indeed installed:
>
> dpkg -l firefox mozilla-psm
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  firefox        1.5.dfsg+1.5.0 lightweight web browser based on Mozilla
> ii  mozilla-psm    1.7.12-1.1ubun The Mozilla Internet application suite - Per
>
> I've tried purging (dpkg --purge) firefox, mozilla and mozilla-psm
> then reinstalling. Didn't help. I've also tried removing my ~/.mozilla
> to see if the problem was profile-related - didn't help.
>
> Mozilla happily visits https sites, so the mozilla-psm library seems
> to work at least partially.
>
> Any help on this would be appreciated!

mozilla-psm is specific to the mozilla-suite.

If you've reinstalled FF and it's still failing, It's probably a local
user configuration issue.

The firefox profile is in ~/.firefox/

Before blowing away your profile though, you can create a new one to
test by running 'firefox -ProfileManager'

HTH.
~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
~ http://darrylclarke.com