Configuring a dialup connection

towsonu2003 ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sat Apr 22 01:56:20 UTC 2006

Andrew Zajac Wrote:
> On 3/23/06, 'Forum Post <ulist (AT) gs1 (DOT) ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> > check out the second link in my signature (bottom of the page, wvdial

> > dial up)

> > --

> > towsonu2003

> The links and signatures from the forums don't appear on the mailing
> list.

> That would be:

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DialupModemHowto

> Also, what kind of modem do you have?  What does the device manager say
> the

> manufacturer is?

> azz

oops, sorry -didn't know that-

using the scanmodem (described in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DialupModemHowto ) is a good idea for
identifying the dreaded winmodem thingy, especially bc they use
different chipsets even in the same model, that is as far as i know.
scanmodem also tells what to do if the winmodem is supported somehow
(although it's language is less than suitable for inexperienced users).

PS. if my signatures are not visible in mailing list, would I piss
people off if I promote the links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=82608 to vote for winmodem
support in Dapper (which didn't happen)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DialupModemHowto (Ubuntu Dialup howto)

http://www.linmodems.org (linmodems site, especially useful when you
can't get the winmodem to work after following the scanmodem and wiki
instructions, via their mailing list)

http://tinyurl.com/zs2wz (for searching for and filing bugs regarding
your non-working winmodem)

?