Question about dual monitors

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Fri Apr 21 23:06:12 UTC 2006

Hey,

Here's a snip from my X.org config file:

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
         Option          "DPMS"
         HorizSync       28-49
         VertRefresh     43-72
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "External Monitor"
         Option          "DPMS"
         HorizSync       28-49
         VertRefresh     43-72
EndSection

How is X.org or Xinerama supposed to know which one is supposed to be
the LCD screen on my laptop and which one is the CRT connected to the
VGA output?

There is nothing that I can see in the X config file that could tell X
or Xinerama which is which. The identifier is just a human-readable
string, it could just as well be "WALA WALA".

If X can't possibly distinguish between these, it's not surprising that
it's not doing what I want. I expect that X is just ignoring "Screen 1"
entirely because it doesn't know what to do with it.

Help?

Cheers,
Daniel.
--