Changing my default shell.

Antony Gelberg antony at wayforth.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 19:55:31 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to change my default shell. I used 'chsh' and it seemed to work.
> Also:
>
> $ grep daniel /etc/passwd
> daniel:x:1000:1000:Daniel,,,:/home/daniel:/bin/zsh
>
> However, when I start a new terminal I still get Bash. :(
> I know I can put 'zsh' on the first line of ~/.bashrc but that seems
> like the wrong solution for this problem.

The man command works for configuration files as well as programs.  I
know you don't like it for new users, but you have been using Linux for
years, so it might be worth knowing that.

man 5 passwd states:
"The command interpreter field provides the name of the user’s command
  language interpreter, or the name of the initial program to execute.
  The login program uses this information to set the value of the $SHELL
  environmental variable. If this field is empty, it defaults to the
  value /bin/sh."

Note that the login program is only called when you login, so it should
work if you logout and in again.