Announcing Beta release of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Antony Gelberg antony at wayforth.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 16:34:45 UTC 2006

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Sure, more information can be found here:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/release-upgrades

Thanks.

> "apt-get dist-upgrade" has never truly been sufficient, and this tool is a
> solution to that problem, not its source.  Upgrading to a new Ubuntu release
> is a complex high-level operation which is not easily addressed with the
> kinds of heuristics used to support incremental upgrades.

Any comment on the suitability of aptitude versus apt-get for the purpose?

>>This is not good news for those of us who want to upgrade machines without
>>a GUI tool.
>

> The availability of a GUI tool should not have any impact on users who
> choose not to use it.  You may still perform upgrades using the command-line
> tools, and resolve any difficulties manually, just as you always have.
>
> But for those who want it to "just work", there is now a more suitable
> option.  It is a complementary use case.

Understood, I think.  I just hope that difficulties won't arise from
developers not correcting known problems that would arise with aptitude
but not with the new tool.  I think you are saying that both methods are
supported, just that one method is less interactive, in which case all
is well.