Blinking pixels on bold fonts in mozilla...

Frank Merenda fmerenda at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 15:30:02 UTC 2006

All,

I am running a LCD, Dapper beta, updated w/the latest patches.

In mozilla when there are bold fonts displayed, some of the pixels around the
edges blink. You can notice it clearly if you make the fonts bigger (control +
numpad +, several times). I can see it clearest on the capital "M".

It's killing my eyes. I have also changed my local ~/.fonts.conf to the below
file, and it cleared up other problems, but not this problem.

I have googled but can't find anything on this.

My LCD is a Dell 2005FPW, at 1680x1050 px.
I've also tried downgrading my color depth to 16 from 24 which didn't help.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
-Frank

---------------
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>

   <!-- auto-hint -->
   <match target="font">
     <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
       <bool>true</bool>
     </edit>
   </match>

   <!--  Enable sub-pixel rendering -->
   <match target="font">
         <test qual="all" name="rgba">
                 <const>unknown</const>
         </test>
   </match>

<!-- Disable anti-aliasing for bold fonts -->
<match target="font">
    <test name="weight" compare="more">
        <const>medium</const>
    </test>
    <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
        <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>
</match>

<!-- Disable anti-aliasing for fonts that are size <=10 -->
<match target="pattern">
   <test qual="any" name="size" compare="less_eq">
      <int>10</int>
   </test>
       <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
        <bool>false</bool>