Announcing Beta release of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 21 15:28:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 03:10:44PM +0100, David M wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote in gmane.linux.ubuntu.announce
>  about: Announcing Beta release of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
>
> > The Ubuntu team is proud to announce the Beta Release of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS -
> > codenamed "Dapper Drake". The Beta Release introduces the new Desktop CD,
> > which can be used both to try Ubuntu "live" and to install the system.
>
> Excellent! Does this mean that Dapper is now _reasonably_ safe to
> install on a working (but, of course, backed-up!) system?
>
> Are there likely to be (m)any substantial (rather than relatively minor)
> changes between now and the final release, that would make upgrading now,
> and then again later, inconvenient?

The Beta designation means that we (the development team) consider it to be
ready for very widespread testing, and that we will avoid disruptive changes
from this point where possible.

So if you are interested in helping us to find and fix the remaining bugs,
then yes, now is the time to upgrade.

> > To upgrade from Ubuntu 5.10 to Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Beta, follow these
> > instructions:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperUpgrades
>
> Is it also possible to apt-get dist-upgrade as normal, by changing the
> repository names from breezy to dapper?

It is possible to upgrade manually, but the DapperUpgrades method is
strongly recommended.  A simple dist-upgrade attempts to resolve the entire
upgrade based solely on the package metadata, while the upgrade tool is more
sophisticated and has explicit logic supplied by the development team to
provide a smooth upgrade.

--
 - mdz