[DAPPER] Slow boot "Configuring network interfaces..."

Pekka Tiittanen pekka.tiittanen at pp.inet.fi
Fri Apr 21 14:40:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 09:47 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

> And it would surely work with this distro if certain modules had been loaded
> earlier or the network was started later.  These things happen (they've
> happened to me - with this and other distros - my NIC is a broadcom b44
> which has had timing issues with numerous kernel versions).  I just find it
> infinitely easier to forget about timing and let ifplugd do it's magic:
> bringing up an interface when it _knows_ the hardware is ready.

Sorry about my late reply, been busy elsewhere for a while.

So, I decided to give ifplugd a try. Installed it and removed the "auto
eth0" from /etc/network/interfaces. And the result was a computer that
hanged the boot at the "Mounting remote filesystems" and this time it
just stopped, I eventually hit ctrl-c and it moved along. But that's not
all. After it was up and running I discovered that it never initialised
my eth0 after all, I manually did 'ifup eth0' to get it up.

So I'll try to build the initrd image and let's see if it works any
better.

--
I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch. -- Gilda Radner

-Pekka-