Setting up a second monitor

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Fri Apr 21 13:59:28 UTC 2006

Anders Karlsson wrote:
> This is correct and pretty much how I have it on my laptop.
[snip: useful information]

Thanks. I've been testing, and I'm confident that the problem is in the
"ServerLayout" section. If I keep all the other changes, and use the
following, X works:

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier      "Default Layout"
         Screen          "Default Screen"
         Screen          "Secondary Screen"
         Option          "Clone" "On"
         InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
         InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
         InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Of course, I get a clone screen. But X works without error.

> Did you change the identifiers used from my "screen_0" and "screen_1" to
> your "Default Screen" and "Secondary Screen" in the Server Layout part?

Ah! Bingo. That was it. I made the change, and now X runs without
errors. This is the new ServerLayout section:

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier      "Default Layout"
         Screen          0       "Default Screen"        0       0
         Screen          1       "Secondary Screen"      LeftOf
"Default Screen"
         Option          "Clone" "On"
         InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
         InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
         InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

So, the next step is to get Xinerama to work. I think I have it installed:

~$ sudo aptitude search xinerama
id  libxinerama-dev        - X11 Xinerama ...(development head)
i   libxinerama1           - X11 Xinerama ...
p   libxinerama1-dbg       - X11 Xinerama ...(debug package)
i   x11proto-xinerama-dev  - X11 Xinerama extension wire protocol

But when I replace

	Option          "Clone" "On"

By

	Option          "Xinerama" "On"

Nothing changes. I still get a clone of the desktop. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--