Setting up a second monitor

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 13:34:21 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 14:00 +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Anders Karlsson wrote:
> > If what you are after is to get Xinerama going across ONE graphics card,
> > internal LCD and external CRT (VGA port), the simplest way is thus:
>
> Ok...
>
> > Define two "Device" parts, one containing the line 'Screen 0', the other
> > device entry containing the line 'Screen 1'. Screen 0 will reference the
> > internal TFT, screen 1 references the external VGA port.
>
> Ok. This is what I did:
>
> # Internal TFT
> Section "Device"
> 	Screen		0
> 	Identifier	"Inter Corp 82815...."
> 	Driver		"i810"
> 	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
> EndSection
>
> # External VGA
> Section "Device"
> 	Screen		1
> 	Identifier	"Inter Corp 82815...."
> 	Driver		"i810"
> 	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
> EndSection

This is correct and pretty much how I have it on my laptop.

> > Define the "Monitor" sections that you will use for internal and
> > external screens.
>
> I'm confused by this part. How do I distinguish between the two Monitor
> sections? Do I just make up different identifiers? This is what I have now:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"Genetic Monitor"
> 	Option		"DPMS"
> 	HorizSync	28-49
> 	VertRefresh	43-72
> EndSection

You distinguish between different defined sections based on its
Identifier.

> What should I do with this one? How does this look:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"Internal TFT"
> 	Option		"DPMS"
> 	HorizSync	28-49
> 	VertRefresh	43-72
> EndSection
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"External Monitor"
> 	Option		"DPMS"
> 	HorizSync	28-49
> 	VertRefresh	43-72
> EndSection

Correct, but you can now alter the horizontal and vertical refresh rate
for the two monitors. The external monitor, if a CRT, can perhaps cope
with 85Hz vertical refresh rate and a horizontal sync range of 30-110
kHz.

> > Then define the appropriate "Screen" sections for the
> > two device/monitor combinations.
>
> How? This is what I have in mind:
>
> * Make a copy of the current "Screen" section.
> * In the first:
>    * Change the Monitor to "Internal TFT".
>    * Leave the Identifier unchanged, at "Default Screen".
> * In the second:
>    * Change the Monitor to "External Monitor".
>    * Change the Identifier to "Secondary Screen".
>
> Does that look right?

Yes.

> > You now have enough to define the "ServerLayout" section. Mine looks
> > like this:
> >
> > Section "ServerLayout"
> >         Identifier      "default"
> >         Screen          0       "screen_0"      0       0
> >         Screen          1       "screen_1"      LeftOf  "screen_0"
> >         Option          "Xinerama"      "On"
> >         #Option         "Clone"         "On"
> >         InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
> >         InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
> > EndSection
>
> Well, it looks like I did something wrong, because it didn't work:
>
> (EE) Error parsing the config file
> Fatal server error: no screens found

Did you change the identifiers used from my "screen_0" and "screen_1" to
your "Default Screen" and "Secondary Screen" in the Server Layout part?

> Help? Here is a sample screen section:
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier	"Default Screen"
> 	Device		"Intel Corp..."
> 	Monitor		"Internal TFT"
> 	DefaultDepth	24
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth	1
> 		Modes	"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection

Looks good to me.

I think you are more or less there, it may be just the Identifiers and
what you reference where that needs tweaking.

HTH,

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>