Debian Woody -> Ubuntu Dapper?

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Fri Apr 21 13:04:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 06:13:18AM -0700, Busted Monkey wrote:
> As Dapper's more or less a newer version of Debian, would it be
> possible to simply change your sources.list to point to the Dapper
> repositories and do an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' from a old Debian Woody
> installation?

I'm fairly certain that what would happen is this: you'd
upgrade, say, Firefox, and Firefox would say that it depends
on a library whose version number is something like
'1.07ubuntu9'. So that library would be downloaded, and it
would depend on some other package whose version is
'0.56ubuntu7'. And so on. Many of these packages would
duplicate Woody packages that you already have.

This is just my suspicion, though; I could be wrong.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org
Cell: +(617) 308-5571