US/German flags on Language support

Francisco Borges f.borges at rug.nl
Fri Apr 21 09:55:25 UTC 2006

» On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 02:41AM +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:

> hi list
> (Dapper Beta question)
> I might be being a whiny bastard, but does anyone else find the
> US/German flags on 'Language Support' [1] and 'Find local support' [2]
> anoying?

Though I think its more of an aesthetic/personal point, I must confess
that I don't like it at all.

I think you can change that with the theme but that's not a good
solution tought. Possible simple solutions for it are:

- superposition of characters of different languages;

- the use of a "United Nations" flag (while some people would have
  problems with that, I did say it's far better than a
  COUNTRY_1/COUNTRY_2 duo).

- the use of a globe

Complicated custom solution I kind of like:

- locale dependent icon set, if at installation you say you are at
  country X, then display the flag of X and the flag of any neighboring
  country like;

  US? -> US/Canada or US/Mexico

  Brazil? -> Brazil/Argentina

  etc