Macros in OpenOffice 2

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Fri Apr 21 01:39:43 UTC 2006

In Microsoft word, it's possible to attach macros to keypress sequences.
I used this feature to set up some special characters . I put u-umlaut
on CTL-;-u, for example. This lets me insert some German characters that
I don't have on my US keyboard.

I want to do the same thing (or at least similar) under OpenOffice, so
that I don't have to go Insert->Special character and select the desired
character every time.

I can create the macro OK, and when I run it, my desired character
appears. So far so good. But I don't seem to be able to assign the macro
to a keypress. If I assign it (for example) to Shift-CTL-C, I get an
uppercase underlined C when I press that sequence (and a single
backspace then deletes to start of word, odd).

The keys offered for assignment also seem only to be straight keys with
various modifiers - there doesn't seem to be a way to assign to a
sequence.

The OpenOffice help suggests that some accents are achievable using
back-tick and tick as dead keys, but this doesn't work for me, they
don't seem to be dead ;-) I just see the backtick/tick (not that I want
accents as such anyway).

I did find a macro for StarOffice that seemed to be doing pretty much
what I wanted, but it didn't work under OpenOffice. I guess I could
learn the macro language and try to figure out whey, but I'm hoping
there's a quicker way :-)

Can anyone offer a hint?

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (w/h)