distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Apr 21 00:23:12 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Matthew R. Dempsky wrote:
>
>>>Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
>>>uppercase=bad)
>>>+++-===============-===============-==============================================
>>>pn  ubuntu-desktop  <none>          (no description available)
>>>
>>>Not sure what "pn" means.
>>
>> The p stands for purge, the n stands for not installed.  See the
>> Desired= and Status= comments at the top of the output.
>
> I see the Desired= and Status= comments, but I can't make sense of them.
> For exxample, it says "Not", "Installed", "Failed-config" and
> "Half-installed". Those are not mutually compatible AFAICS.

OK, it _is_ a little less than clear.  ASCII has its place, but this ain't
it :-)

So the first column is "desired", and it says that the possible options are
u,i,r,p,h (sure, you would have figured that it meant that one of the
capitalized letters equated to the _lower_ case letter in the status line!)

The second column is "status" and the possible options are n,i,c,u,f,h -
surely that line should at least begin: "Status=Not installed/Installed..."

So pn = Purged/Not [installed]
--
derek