Cross-platform virus?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Thu Apr 20 17:59:25 UTC 2006

John Richard Moser wrote:
> Bull shit.  The virus when executed will locate a PE or ELF executable
> in the same directory and inject itself into the executable, increasing
> the target's size by 4096 bytes.  Yes, it works.  Yes, it fails to
> spread due to a bug in 2.6.16.  Yes, Linus fixed it.

Do you happen to know if this program is simultaneously a PE and an ELF?
Or is it, as I suspect, either one or the other (ie. a copy that runs on
Linux won't run on Windows and vice versa)? And if so, what's
interesting about it?

If this program is indeed both a PE and an ELF, that is very
interesting. But I don't see how that's possible given that they have
different magic numbers.

Best,
Daniel.
--