[DAPPER] Slow boot "Configuring network interfaces..."

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Apr 20 12:47:17 UTC 2006

Pekka Tiittanen wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 12:55 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it just be easier to _assume_ the network's not yet available,
>> remove "auto eth0" from /etc/network/interfaces, and get on with life?
>> :-)
>
> Well, no. Why it has worked without hangs for almost 3 years and now
> suddenly after upgrading to dapper it starts to hang. There's no way you
> can make me believe that suddenly the network "just isn't yet
> available". I'd believe it if I used DHCP, but with static IP it's just
> not normal behaviour.
>
> I bet that it would work with other distros without hangs :D

And it would surely work with this distro if certain modules had been loaded
earlier or the network was started later.  These things happen (they've
happened to me - with this and other distros - my NIC is a broadcom b44
which has had timing issues with numerous kernel versions).  I just find it
infinitely easier to forget about timing and let ifplugd do it's magic:
bringing up an interface when it _knows_ the hardware is ready.
--
derek