Using courier-imap as a local repository

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Apr 20 08:39:37 UTC 2006

Hi there.

I have used offlienimap to get a copy of a remote IMAP mail respository
onto my machine. Works well. I now have a directory structure in Maildir
format (mail folder directories like INBOX all contain "cur", "tmp" and
"new" subdirectories, within those each message is a file).

Then I installed courier-imap, hoping to use it as to browse this new
local repository. Rather than run it on connection, I'm starting it
from /etc/init.d.

The daemon finds the directory OK; I had to add a MAILDIR value
in /etc/courier/imapd, but that was all.

Evolution can connect with the server OK, but it doesn't display any
folders or messages. Hitting "Send/Receive" just briefly flashes that
dialog - no errors, but no folders or messages either.

If I telnet to the server I can login, but doing "a select INBOX" gets
me an error message: "a NO Unable to open this mailbox.".

I'm a bit puzzled. I get the feeling I've missed something very obvious.
I have made sure (although I don't think it should be necessary as the
imap daemon appears to run as root) that every path element right down
to the individual messages has read and execute permissions as
appropriate. They are owned by the account I'm logging in as, so if the
daemon is switching to that uid, there should still be no permissions
problem.

I see login messages in the system logs (and while MAILDIR was wrong, I
saw those problems logged) but nothing seems to be being logged about
this.

Any ideas?

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (w/h)