Adding [ubuntu] in the subject of any email

Francisco Borges f.borges at rug.nl
Wed Apr 19 18:14:25 UTC 2006

ยป On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:51AM -0700, OOzy Pal wrote:

> I wish of ubuntu adds [ubuntu] before the subject of eash email.
> php.net adds [PHP], Mandriva adds [newbie], etc. This makes it easy to
> use filters and separate emails.

The best way to filter list emails is to use some special header field,
like "List-Id:" or "X-BeenThere:" or even "Mailing-List:", that's much,
much better than to use To: or Cc: fields.

[...]

If you still want the keyword into the subject field, in order to, for
instance join some low volume lists into a single folder.

You can do it in procmail (which is not so easy to get started as one
would like, I know...).

:0
* ^List-Id:.*\<ubuntu-users.lists.ubuntu.com\>
{
SUBJ_=`formail -xSubject: `

:0 fwh
| formail -I"Subject: [ubuntu]${SUBJ_}"

:0
ubuntu/
}

[...]

AFAIK one complication of adding the name of the list into the subject
AS AN OPTION is that every time somebody with the option answered an
email, the thread would acquire [list-name]. So you would not really
honor the requests of those who did not want it there in the first
place (at least not without having to mess with the subject line).

--
Francisco