Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Tom Smith tom71713-ubuntu at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 15:57:44 UTC 2006

This isn't in response in to any specific post on this thread, just a
general (dare I say) suggestion. ;-)

If everyone is so dead set on using Linux in lieu of Windows, why not
just setup Ubuntu and use a virtual machine for another install of
Ubuntu (for "testing") and an installation of Windows (for those
non-Linux apps)?

There are many virtual machine solutions out there. Currently available
are VMware Workstation, Parallels Workstation, and VMware Server--and
their cost is nominal: $170, $50, and FREE, respectively. I personally
have used VMware Server and VMware Workstation and currently use both of
them in production environments. The SOLE purpose for using either of
them is to run Windows in Linux. I have used Parallels, but with less
luck--at the time, Parallels had some issues when used via Xvnc. I
brought the problem to Parallels' attention and they were able to verify
it and said it would likely be fixed in the next release (that was about
six months ago)--I haven't tried it since because I started using VMware.

There really is no reason (in my humble opinion) not to be able to use
Windows in Linux with the exception of Linux hardware compatibility.

Just my two cents. :-D