Differences about Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Breezy

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Apr 19 12:51:00 UTC 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:17:23 +0300
"OOzy Pal" <oozypal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am really new to Ubuntu. I am still downloading it.
>
> Can some tell me what is the difference between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Breezy, etc.

Ubuntu is the whole distribution.

the default is a Gnome desktop ( ubuntu-desktop)
Kubuntu is Ubuntu with a KDE desktop ( kubuntu-desktop)
There is also xubuntu-desktop, which uses the xfce4 desktop environment.

Each "release" has a name. So far we have

Warty Warthog ( 4.10 ) released in October 2004 (hence 4.10 )
Hoary Hedgehog ( 5.04 ) released April 2005
Breezy Badger    ( 5.10 )  - the current "stable " branch from October 2005
Dapper Drake      ( 6.06 ) - currently in development, release June 1st
2006

The next version will be called Edgy Eft :-)

( Announcement hot off the press from Mark Shuttleworth)
<quote>
First things first. The codename of Dapper+1 will be:

   The Edgy Eft
</quote>

Peter
 --