Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

danielph ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Apr 19 10:15:16 UTC 2006

I have had a form of Linux on my laptop now for a year. At the moment
both my desktop and laptop are running Dapper reasonable successfully.
The laptop only has Ubuntu and nothing else and runs very well, the
desktop does have Windows 2000m but it I can't get the wireless card to
work (and I was a network engineer). I think this needs more time, but I
don't use Windows at all now.

What do I miss? Well not much. Considering the gains: the stability,
running alpha software, installing, uninstalling, the speed (it
continues to perform well over time), the flexibility, easy to
customise it is a good replacement, loads of good apps, however I still
have problems of course. Getting my Officejet 1750c to work with SANE, a
decent ipod tool/music player combined, vid conferencing.

The masses don't really like change and there are  things that would be
problematic. My parents for example would need something easy to use and
I don't believe they could drop to the command line to configure
something. This is still normal on most Linux systems. To get involved,
to research, to learn, to discover and to tinker.  It is all very well
to learn about computers, but it can take time - a LOT of time. Many
people just want to use the computer as a tool to do the job. To email,
listen to music, type a document, make a greeting card, chat etc.

However, for me the pros easily outway the cons and I hope to be with
Linux for a long time and see it grow. I have stuck with Ubuntu longer
than any other dist and it is the only one I recommend to Windows
users. I still think it is ahead of Suse and Fed 5.

So in answer to your question, yes Ubuntu has replaced Windows on my
box.

--
danielph