Switching from Command line to GUI

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Apr 19 10:01:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:41:28 +0800
"Angelyn V. Dilim" <angelyndilim at torstencalvi.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Ubuntu, I installed Ubuntu and choose the server install after
> the installation is completed and log on I see that its all command line,
> how can I switch so to GUI?

 Yes, the "server" install has no GUI components. It is a "bare bones"
install on which to build what the user/administrator wants to include.

Try this:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

(all on one line from the prompt )

That should install the Gnome desktop and all the default Ubuntu programs,
assuming your apt-get sources were configured during the install, which I
think they would have been.

Peter
--

Linux User #343161