hard disk integrity check

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Tue Apr 18 23:24:05 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 15:05, Balvinder Kataora wrote:
> > So while what you were told is not completely wrong, it's over
> > simplified by a very big margin
>
> so does this mean I shouldn't bother in testing my hard disks for
> its already taken care of?

Sadly, no :-(

SMART catches about 80% of looming disk errors (according to the SMART
people that is). And disk firmware is written to take care of usual
errors wherever possible, but it'll never be bullet-proof.

If you give your disks a thorough test every now and then, you should
carry on doing just that. It does no harm, doesn't take huge amounts
of your time, and might detect some problem early. Think of it as
almost free insurance

--
If only you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za