dangling symlink ??

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Tue Apr 18 23:12:32 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 15:11, Senectus . wrote:
> My Home PC is e-mailing this tome every day:
>
> /etc/cron.daily/man-db:
> mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/rmic.1.gz is a dangling symlink
> mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/vncconfig.1.gz is a dangling
> symlink
>
> Any idea's what it means?

It means that the symlink points to something that doesn't exist
anymore, like a broken link on a web page. It happens most often with
updates, for example when the man pages packager doesn't know that
some other package installed a symlink and so can't correct it. It's
safe to delete the links

--
If only you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za