Aptitude wants to remove "ubuntu-desktop"

Francisco Borges f.borges at rug.nl
Tue Apr 18 16:18:09 UTC 2006

» On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:00AM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

> > Optimally, there should be some "soft" dependency scheme, which is what
> > I think what "suggests" was supposed to mean, except that I never saw
> > "suggests" working in any meaningful way.
>
> "suggests" is so soft it's squishy :-)  "Recommends" is something like that,
> in so far as aptitude installs those by default.  Too bad you can't tell it
> you don't want the recommends for a single package (I tried to install
> eclipse with just the full dependencies, and aptitude tried to remove every
> other "recommends" package).

I went looking into the matter after sending my email.

About this problem you just mentioned, you need to set
Recommends-Important to false and keep Keep-Recommends as true:

Option: Aptitude::Keep-Recommends
Default: false
system as long as any installed package recommends them, even if
Aptitude::Recommends-Important is false.

Option: Aptitude::Recommends-Important
Default: true
installing a new package will also install any packages that it
recommends. Furthermore, if this option is true, then packages will be
kept on the system if an installed package recommends them.

And as most debian-familiar users still use apt-get and not aptitude,
they resort to "depends" in order to get it done for sure.

--
Francisco