Ubuntu 5.10 Live CD - how to save settings between reboots?

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Tue Apr 18 07:55:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 00:19 -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:

> > I want to use Ubuntu 5.10 Live CD on a computer without a hard drive,
> > just a USB hub with USB flash drives attached. Is there a way to save
> > settings, etc. between reboots, similar to Knoppix and Damn Small
> > Linux?
> >

> I don't think you can do it for 5.10.  But for the incoming 6.06, it
> seems the feature will be there (but I haven't tried it yet):
>  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveCDPersistence

I can confirm that on Dapper Flight 5 and 6, this feature works very
well. I'm using it right now.

The wiki entry is rather long and technical, but it's actually quite a
bit easier.  If you use your whole memory stick for this, then all you
need to do is reformat it to ext2 filesystem and give it the label
'casper-rw', then boot from the Live CD with the stick inserted.

Or if you want to use only part of your memory stick (I recommend using
at least 128 MB for this, or a bit more) then you have to partition the
memory stick, again giving one partition the ext2 filesystem and the
label 'casper-rw'.

All of this can be done with the Gnome Partition Editor that you can
find in the System->Administration menu on the live CD.  It's just that
as far as I know, setting the label needs to be done with a terminal
command: sudo e2label /dev/<yourpartition> casper-rw

Your memory stick is usually called something like /dev/sda1
or /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sda2 , etc.

Cheers,
Chanchao