Aptitude wants to remove "ubuntu-desktop"

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Apr 18 04:18:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:56:53 -0300
Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

[regarding the "necessity" to install *-desktop packages before a
dist-upgrade]

> It _is_ nevertheless a bad assumption.  We have a great
> package management system, and somebody has basically emasculated it by
> deciding that we don't need to enforce proper package dependence, we'll
> just force everybody to install *-desktop.  It's an abomination, and I'm
> not going to swallow it silently!

I think Derek is right. This seems like a regression from the expected
behaviour. I don't recall Debian requiring this kind of thing.

How exactly is a user supposed to know this anyway? Chanting mantras about
reading the wiki won't help a user who doesn't even know the wiki exists
( or in fact what a wiki *is* ).

> Besides that, since when did a _wiki_ page become gospel?  Shades of Nature
> vs. Brittanica!

We won't get into a discussion about the authorship of the Gospels, or
comparisons of the process with wiki writing   ;-) That would be venturing
into the territory of an army of scholars ;-)

Peter

--

Linux User #343161