gnome login fails

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Mon Apr 17 22:12:14 UTC 2006

> Not sure but maybe removing all those ".gnome" related files from your
> home directory will reset your personal gnome settings?

I deleted .gnome* -- and .gconf*  as well for good measure -- but it
only seems to have made things worse; now I can't even login with
failsafe gnome. Kde works, which is what I am using right now. I
created a temporary 2nd account, and can login to that with gnome, but
not my main account. Here is .xsession-errors; I hope someone can make
some sense of it:

$ cat .xsession-errors
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w
/var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:20.Xservers" -h "" -l
":20" "colin"
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
_IceTransTransNoListen: unable to find transport: tcp
_IceTransmkdir: ERROR: euid != 0,directory /dev/X will not be created.
_IceTransmkdir: ERROR: Cannot create /dev/X
_IceTransPTSOpenServer: mkdir(/dev/X) failed, errno = 13
_IceTransOpen: transport open failed for pts/cirrus:
_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for pts
_IceTransISCOpenServer: Protocol is not supported by a ISC connection
_IceTransOpen: transport open failed for isc/cirrus:
_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for isc
_IceTransSCOOpenServer: Protocol is not supported by a SCO connection
_IceTransOpen: transport open failed for sco/cirrus:
_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for sco
SESSION_MANAGER=unix/cirrus:/tmp/.ICE-unix/10527

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam