Wonky package dependencies?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Apr 17 19:04:53 UTC 2006

Jhair Tocancipa Triana wrote:

> The rationale behind the dependency type change in mysql-server was to
> support unusual installations. In particular if someone wanted to
> install a MTA which doesn't rely on mailx (e.g. qmail) mysql was also
> uninstalled in the process[1] due its mailx dependency.

Ack!  I hate when we start modifying packages because some _other_ package
(not even in Ubuntu) is broken.  mailx depends on mail-transfer-agent.  No
MTA available in Ubuntu relies on mailx, so if there's a problem here it
would have to be with qmail not providing mail-transfer-agent (or something
completely unrelated to mailx).

otoh, until Dapper, mailx has always been considered a necessary part of a
Debian-based distro, as it provides local mail ability.
--
derek