How do i force removal of a package :

Antony Gelberg antony at wayforth.co.uk
Sun Apr 16 15:46:35 UTC 2006

Patrick wrote:
> Hey there :
>

>>you can try synaptic GUI or I think the -f is the force option at least
>>in apt-get remove -f <package>
>

> Nope, i've looked through the force options, none seem to fit what i want :
>
> root at globlet:~# apt-get remove -f libdspam7-drv-mysql
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   libdspam7-drv-mysql
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives.
> After unpacking 262kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
> (Reading database ... 31099 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing libdspam7-drv-mysql ...
> dpkg: error processing libdspam7-drv-mysql (--remove):
>  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 10
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
>  libdspam7-drv-mysql
> root at globlet:~#

That's not surprising as the error is coming from dpkg itself, not apt.
  I don't know why you are trying to force things when the system is
telling you there is a problem.  You should be trying to fix the problem.

Read the dpkg man page, especially the debugging section.  Try to purge
the package with dpkg, with the relevant debug switched on.  Hopefully
this will shed some light on "subprocess pre-removal script returned
error exit status 10".  Have you looked at the pre-removal script in
/var/lib/dpkg/info?