laptop

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sat Apr 15 21:45:28 UTC 2006

On 4/15/06, Me - Atlantic <jdangler at atlantic.net> wrote:

> 256Mb
> According to system monitor, 210Mb is in use, along with almost 50% of
> the swap.
> running top shows an even bleaker picture:
> Mem: 256532k total, 249276 used
> Swap: 746980k total, 324424k used

256M may be a little on the tight side for gnome and firefox. Both
require lots of RAM. I would either pop another 256M memory card in
the laptop or experiment with an alternative to gnome such as fluxbox:

 Fairly similar to blackbox, from which it is derived, but has been
extended with features such as
 pwm-style window tabs, configurable key bindings, toolbar, and an
iconbar. It also includes some
 cosmetic fixes over blackbox.

Do "sudo apt-get install fluxbox", logout of gnome, and choose it in
gdm. It might run better than gnome for your setup.

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam