Mounting Fat32

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sat Apr 15 13:47:30 UTC 2006

On Saturday 15 April 2006 11:08, Avraham Hanadari wrote:
> Avraham Hanadari wrote:
> > I had to uninstall and reinstall Ubuntu. The last time, my
> > Windows partitions came premounted. This time, I have no access
> > to them. I don't care about the NTFS partition with WinXP Home,
> > but I do need to access three Fat32 data partitions. Could
> > someone please explain how I can access my data partitions? I
> > think they're supposed to be: 5 fat32   /media/hda5
> > 6 fat32   /media/hda6
> > 5 fat32   /media/hdb5
> >
> > Thanks in advance, Avraham
>
> I seem to have access to my data partitions now, but I can not open
> Word documents in OO. I have to open a copy in order to edit them.
> In Windows, I can simply open them and edit, and even save again as
> DOC. Have I done something wrong that I do not have the necessary
> permission to access the /media/hda5 and /media/hda6 partitions?

Your fat partitions are probably mounted read-only. I don't have a
working Ubuntu handy to check the procedure, but as a first step see
if there's a read-write/read-only option in the gui tool to configure
mount points. If not, you need to edit the /etc/fstab file. In a
terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Look for the lines listing your fat partitions in column 1. If column
4 contains "ro" in the list, change it to "rw", save and quit. Then
umount and mount those partitions to have the changes take effect.

--
If only you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za