Fonts

Mait mattengi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 11:25:02 UTC 2006

Hi, Avraham

Just put your fonts in ~/.fonts/
(~ mean your home directory)
Or, If you share computer with others, put them in /usr/share/fonts/
for system wide available.
You can make sub directory also, That directories will be scanned recursively.
and, run fc-cache for re-caching,(actually fontconfig system do this
periodically)

$ fc-cache
or,
$ sudo fc-cache (for /usr/share/fonts/...)

Thats it. End : )

some additional info,
/etc/fonts/ be used for config files for 'fontconfig' font system.
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf - main config file, contains configs that above
mentioned. Directory for scanning and varios another font config etc

If you decide change or add some font configs, use
/etc/fonts/local.conf(system wide) or ~/.fonts.conf
/etc/fonts.conf will be overwrite when fontconfig package upgraded.

GUI Interface also available in GNOME(gtk) or KDE(qt) although don't
has full fontconfig function.

Regards,
Mait

On 4/15/06, Avraham Hanadari <rufus at hanadari.net> wrote:
> I wish to add TT fonts to Ubuntu. I see two repositories: /etc/fonts and
> /usr/share/fonts. In both places are pages that seem to identify the
> fonts within a folder. What must I do to add fonts to the Ubuntu
> collection? Where should I put the font files? Must I run some command
> line after dropping the fonts someplace? Thanks in advance,  Avraham

Mait